Architectural Digest magazine, “Rescue on Kiawah Island”
Kiawah Legends magazine, “Passing The Test of Time”
Originally built in 1803 as the center of a working plantation, the Vanderhorst Mansion sat unoccupied and abandoned for most of the past century. The goal of the renovation project was to adapt the historic home for use by a modern family while preserving its historic past.
In order to accommodate a kitchen and bathrooms, new flanker additions were constructed on either side of the house. However, the intricate details of the past, such as a soapstone fireplace, were retained and restored. The plantation home sits on the marshes of Kiawah Island with a mile and half long approach through an alley of Live Oak trees.